our journey into parenthood & beyond...

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rm 628

Well the past few days can be described as stressful. Monday started out as a "normal" day, but ended the complete opposite. I was at work and noticed that I was spotting late in the afternoon. So I called the OBGYN, who advised me to go to the hospital to pay a visit to the Labor & Delivery (l&d) floor ( good thing we took the hospital tour). I drove directly there from work and met up with Andrew. We were checked in and directed to a room. We were then asked a million questions. I know the importance of these questions, but really, do you need to know right this minute if my baby is going to be circumcised while I have a thousand thoughts of fear running through my mind.

So after some exams, an ultrasound (which was amazing to see how much bigger he is and how much more he resembles a human), listening to his heart (which was described as "beautiful"), checking me for contractions (negative!), there really wasn't a clear explanation of why this happened (frustration!). The doctors think it may have to do with my history of high blood pressure. Okay...so what does that mean? Basically there is a possibility of the placenta beginning to separate from my uterus. But when it starts to separate, it is extremely hard to see this on an ultrasound, unless it is a HUGE separation. So the doctors can not be 100% that this is the issue( the ultrasound did not show any visible separation). So in case it is, I was given 2 shots of steroids to help strengthen the baby's lungs (holy stinging), in case I go into labor early. In case he is born premature. Which is frightening, but at the same time I don't want his health or safety to be compromised.

So I was wheeled down to Rm. 628. Which I learned was the high risk pregnancy section of the l&d floor. In my mind, I could not believe that I went from worrying about how many stretch marks are showing up on my belly to being labeled as "High Risk". The next morning I was seen by Dr. Jacobs, one of my docs. He said that myself and the baby are considered to be "stable". He told me that I would need to be out of work for at least a week. He would make the determination of whether or not this will be extended for the remainder of the pregnancy at my next appointment (Thursday). While this was an extreme disappointment to me, I know that this situation is not about just me anymore.

I made a deal with the baby. I told him that he could make as many stretch marks on my belly as necessary if that meant he would stay in the womb for as long as he needed to be. I hope he keeps his part of this deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment