our journey into parenthood & beyond...

Thursday, January 21, 2010

7.5 hrs

Last night a record was broke..Little LCG slept for a whole 7.5 hours. Which also means that Andrew and I slept for a whole 7.5 hours. Outstanding! The previous record was 5 hours. I have a feeling that Liam would have slept longer, but I woke up at 5am and felt I should check on him since he did not make any sound all night. Sleeping for more than 3hrs straight often ends up with me waking in a panic.

I am not sure what the cause of him sleeping this long is. It could be a variety of things. Monday night he slept for 5hrs straight. It may be he is maturing, making enough melatonin and sleeping longer OR it could be because of the best book I have read thus far as a parent, The Happiest Baby On the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp ( I know book titles should be underlined, but for some reason this computer is not allowing that function). I truly wish I would have read this before Liam was born.

Let me just begin by saying that initially I thought this book was crap because the author, who is a man, started the book by saying that woman should be pregnant for an additional 3 months. While I LOVED being pregnant, I am not sure if I would have been able to tolerate the heart burn, being uncomfortable, finding clothing that fit, kicks to the rib from the baby the size of a 3month old, let alone give birth to a 3 month old. But after reading more of the book it made complete sense. Dr. K. came up with some techniques to use to soothe baby and make his surroundings very similar to that of the womb. BTW..who knew that the sounds in the womb are louder than a vacuum cleaner.

The techniques worked really well yesterday when Liam was being fussy in the afternoon. I also believe the techniques helped with putting Liam down for the night and keeping him asleep. Who knows, it could just be a coincidence, but I am willing to continue the techniques.

I will say I felt a bit guilty about Liam sleeping (ok, me sleeping) all those hours and him not eating. But the smile that was on his face when he was laying in his crib reassured me that he was going to be fine and not hate me...today, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment