our journey into parenthood & beyond...

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

one last peek

Today Andrew and I were able to sneak in one last peek of the little man before he is here with us. My doctor's appointment went well today. Many positives came out of this appointment:

1. Confirmed we are in fact going to be parents to a little boy. His bits were pretty visible on the ultrasound.
2. Confirmed that he is HEAD DOWN!!! Doctor said that at this point it is highly unlikely that he will change position (lets hope she is right).
3. The baby has adorable lips (okay, okay, maybe I am a bit biased)
4. He is weighing in at 5lbs 4oz. Between now and when he arrives he will be adding 1/2 a lb. per week to his little body.
5. I can use a heating pad to help with the back pain.

Blood pressure was good, heart beat was solid and I am going to blame my weight gain on the fluids my body is holding onto. Since I am getting so close to the end, I now need to have a non stress test each time I have an appointment. Basically two monitors are placed on my abdomen. One to check for any contractions activity (negative today) and the other to monitor the baby's heart. The doctor likes to do this to make sure there is no stress being put on the baby and to make sure the umbilical cord is not being wrapped up around him as he moves. The test which should have taken 20mins ended up taking an hour. The baby was not wanting to stay still long enough to get a good reading....so eventually he participated. In the end, the results were all good and I go back next week.

The ultrasound was pretty great. We were able to see his face for a brief moment. Ultrasounds are such a tease. We could not wait to see him on that screen, but it makes us want him to be here in our arms even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment